Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Throw a little shrimp on the barbie!

I’m sure that there are a lot of things I could have written about over the last month. But since I work in a common office and my boss sits in direct view of my monitor, it makes it tough. So I want to touch on a few points here.

The Cavs suck. They have LeBron and that’s it. I will give Drew Gooden credit, he has become a much more consistent player this season. He’s a menace on the offensive boards and seems to be in the right place at the right time most games. Any guy that can get a double-double without having a play run for him is ok in my book (see Shawn Marion). Did I mention that Hubie Brown loves him? That surprised me since Hubie ran him out of Memphis his rookie season.

Any way, the team sucks. A team that features Eric Snow and Damon Jones as your point guards will be lucky to win the first round. And having LeBron run the point for long stretches takes too much out of him. Taking Shannon Brown in the first round is really paying off. He’s played in 10 games. 10! On a very related note, Jordan Farmar is averaging 6 points and 2.3 assists in 16 minutes a night for the Lakers. He would be starting in Cleveland. Fire Danny Ferry.

I’m coaching a city 7-8 year old basketball team (we play on an 8.5’ rim). We sit at 1-5, but we won last night. Now I had no say in drafting this team or the team name because I was at the Winter Meetings when all that went down and the city decided not to let me know that until I got back. My roster looks like this:

CurShun (his dad’s name is Curtis and his mom’s name is Shundra, very original. Best ballhandler.)
Isaac (best shooter on the team)
Ke’Shawn (maybe 4’ tall, but tough)
De’Andre (improving)
Royal (tough defender)
Shamar (improving)
Malachai (still needs improvement)
Malik (another short stack, but good shooter from 10’ in, good ball handler, and maniac defender)

I have two more kids on the roster, but I think they both quit.

Anyways, I harp on fundamentals in practice. Layups, ball handling, defense, and good communication. We are getting better when we do things right, but sometimes they get a little lazy. But they’re kids and as long as they improve I’ll be happy. And we do run an offense, which when we run it right works just about every time.

Our team name is the Blazers. So maybe we were cursed from the get go.

After coaching youth football the last two falls you would think that Karma owes me and good things would start happening to me.

Bowling Green basketball has dropped 6 in a row after starting out a promising 10-4. The women’s team is ranked 17 in the country. But that’s women’s ball.

The Suns are really good.

The Cavs should do whatever it takes (short of giving up LeBron) to get Jason Kidd. Throw Big Z out there. He’s a stiff anymore and Kristic is out for the season.

Unless Ohio State’s basketball team really gels during conference play it’s going to be a short March in Columbus. They are the kind of team that gets knocked off by an experienced MVC or CAA team.

I looked at a mock NFL draft site for the first time this year yesterday. They have the Browns taking Brady Quinn at #3 and Ryan Kalil (C, USC) in the 2nd round. If this happened I would probably blow a load. Especially since there’s a good chance LeCharles Bentley will miss this season too. Kalil plays center this year then slides to guard in 2008. Nice.

My dog Brownie is awesome. And big. 27 pounds as of January 27. He’s 3 months old and they say he’s going to be about a 70 lb dog. And he’s already a great guard dog. He barks at the Baptists at the church across the street every Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night. Church is like a cult here. No one should ask why we don’t go.

I had to trim my beard back a couple of weeks ago. It’s still solid.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

The name Curshun is one of the finer examples of imagination I've recently seen.

Speaking of the NFL Draft...

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home