Monday, November 13, 2006

Sports Gods, you owe me one!

Quick post while my boss is out of the office. The Ohio State-Michigan game has me scared crapless. Let’s cover the reasons why.

Michigan’s defense. It’s really good and for the first time in since 2001 it’s better than OSU’s.

Mario Manningham. I think Lloyd Carr is trying to actually think like a decent coach here. He’s kept Manningham under wraps since his surgery to make sure he’s healthy and put doubt into everyone’s heads about him. I guarantee you he’s healthy Saturday. They had no need for him over the last month.

The past of my teams. With the exception of the 2002 Buckeyes every one of my teams has let me down with a Championship or potential Championship on the line. Lets recap:
1986 Browns (AFC Title Game)
1987 Browns (AFC Title Game)
1989 Browns (AFC Title Game)
1991-92 Cavs (Eastern Finals)
1991-92 Buckeyes Basketball (Lost in Elite 8 to Michigan Fab 4)
1993 Buckeyes (Lost to Michigan at 10-0-1)
1995 Buckeyes (Lost to Michigan at 10-0 I think, maybe 9-1)
1995 Indians (Lost in WS to Braves in 6)
1996 Buckeyes (Lost to Michigan at 10-0)
1997 Indians (Lost in WS to Marlins in 7)
1998 Buckeyes (Lost to Michigan State as #1 in country)
1999 Buckeyes Basketball (Lost in Final Four to UConn)
2005-06 Buckeyes Basketball (Lost in 2nd round to Georgetown at a 2 seed)

So that’s it. Now you know why I worship that 2002 Bucks team. It’s all I’ve got. Sad isn’t it? Especially when people like Mark Hughes has his teams win an NCAA Basketball title and the World Series in the same year. It’s not fair.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lance said...

bucks win by at least two touchdowns..... and i dont like the bucks

1:11 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

People like Mark Hughes, what does that mean?

I'm assuming it means I'm a douchebag and that I don't deserve multiple championships in one year. To that I say, you are correct sir.

There's a ton of memorable games on that list, one that often slips under the radar is Jim Jackson's loss in the Regional Final. I remember reading how Jalen Rose was openly taunting Jackson toward the end of the game about ending his career with a loss. Gotta love the Fab 5.

I really hope this game can live upt to (some of) the hype.

9:24 AM  
Blogger CFunk28 said...

I remember how broken I was after that that loss to the Fab 5. OSU had beat them down in the 2 regular season meetings and I was so confident going into that game (I was 11, I wasn't beaten down by life yet). It was amazing how much that UM team matured towards the end of the season and obviously into the tournament.

Maybe if Jimmy had more around him than Lawrence Funderburke and Chris Jenson they could have gotten past the Fab 5.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home